As seen in the previously posted work 'Blue prints for structural hygiene' my process begun by buillding up layers of anatomical drawings. The drawing method used could loosley be considered as 'blind contour' in the sense that the layers were made with an often continuous line while observing skeltons or anatomical text books (or purely from my imagination) without ever looking at the page during the drawing process.
Blue print for structural hygiene: coccyx (base layers) using 'blind contour'drawing technique
On viewing the completed drawings for the first time I found it quite interesting to see how my concept of space and scale would warp when my hand was not under the supervision of a constantly correcting eye. Motivated by a desire to visually quantify or document the accumulative degrees of my spacial misperception over time I began to do long closed-eyed drawings of how I imagined my face to look, including written annotations.
Hypochondriac 2, quick and dirty snap (detail) pencil on paper
Without opening my eyes I would draw and re-draw my imagined face several times on the same sheet of paper, trying as best as I could to line up each new version exactly with the previous.
The result was a strange scramble of lines words and numbers surrounding tiny islands of vaugely recognisable facial features. In the process of drawing I became hyper-aware and sensitive to the sensations occuring in my face. For this reason this trajectory body of drawings are called 'Hypochondriac' 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Hypochondriac 1, quick and dirty snap, pencil on paper
I repeated the excercise as several separate drawings, using different pencil lead densities to differentiate between layers. I tried my best also to number each series of marks made for each layer, for example marks 1.1,1.2,1.3 and 1.4 all pertained to layer '1' while 2.1,2.2,2.3 etc pertain to layer '2'.
Hypochondriac 1, quick and dirty snap (misgivings diagram detail) pencil on paper
Once the drawing was 'completed' I began to measure the distance between points in different layers that I had thought (in blindness) were in the exact same spot as a way of quantifying my spacial misperceptions. I then recorded the degree of each misperception with a protractor. At the bottom of the page on 'Hypochondriac 1' I used these measurements to draw a tidy little diagram quantifying my misperceptions for the drawing. This was then followed by additional annotations such as 'fallable memory' where I realised some mistakes I had made in my blind drawing state.
Subscribe Back to all posts